Safe blood saves lives and improves health. Blood is vital to life and for many people blood donors are their lifeline. Currently, only 1 in 30 people give blood, but 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime.
Who can give blood?
Most people are able to give blood if they:
– Are fit, healthy and not suffering from a cold, flu or other illness at the time of donation or in the previous seven days
Are aged between 16-70 years
– weigh more than 50kg
– Drink plenty of water in the 24 hours before donation, especially in warm weather and have at least three good-sized glasses of water/juice in the 3 hours before donating
– Eat something in the 3 hours before donating
TIPS for a successful blood donation –
– Eat a healthy meal before your donation. Avoid fatty foods such as hamburgers, fries or ice cream before donating. (Fatty foods can affect tests we do on your blood) if there is too much fat in your blood your donation cannot be tested for infectious diseases and the blood cannot be used for transfusion and will go to waste.
– Avoid alcohol for 24hours prior to donation
– Wear clothing with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow
– Let the person taking your blood know if you have a preferred arm and show them any good veins that have been used successfully in the past to draw blood
– Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns
– Relax, listen to music and talk to other donors or read during the donation process
– If you are a platelet donor, remember that your system must be free of aspirin for two days prior to donation.
– Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet by eating iron rich foods such as red meat, fish, poultry, beans and leafy greens.
– Get a good nights sleep
– Drink an extra 500mls of water before donation
Please head to Port Moresby General Hospital if you would like to make a generous life-saving blood donation.
Please contact email@example.com if you require more information or if you would like to have your company included in this year Corporate Blood Drive.